Starting in 3.5.0, the task specific logs ( not nexus.log ) may print messages such as this ( specific concern is about these ---- Mark ---- messages ):
These Mark messages are not helpful because:
- they lack context
- they fill the logs without telling us what the task is doing
- the thread id is different from the task thread doing the actual work
- a thread dump can tell use where in the code the task thread is doing work specificly
- a leading informative log message ahead of beginning any major work is a better way to summarize what work a task is about to begin
- an end user can view task state ( ie. Running,waiting, etc) for end user visible tasks in the tasks UI
Some tasks take days to run, and could leave 1440 of these in the log per day for no discernable value.
For now the simplest thing is to remove the default progress logging which prints ---- Mark ---- as a log message. In other words, there should be no periodic progress logging unless explicitly coded into a task and that log message includes task specific progress data. Any work to add more explicit progress logging should be done via another ticket.